- 2 cups sliced strawberries (¼-inch thick)
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
From Your Pantry
butter or cooking spray
Brava square pan
wire cooling rack
large plate or cutting board
Allergens: Milk, Eggs, Wheat (Gluten)
Prep pan and strawberries
- Lightly butter or spray Brava square pan.
- Line bottom of square pan with parchment paper. Butter or spray top of parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, stir together sliced strawberries, brown sugar and cornstarch until combined.
- Spread mixture evenly over bottom of square pan. Set aside.
Make cake batter
- In medium bowl, stir together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment, add buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla extract. Mix on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Add egg whites, turn speed to medium-high and whisk for 2 minutes.
- Swap out whisk attachment for paddle attachment. While running on low speed, slowly add dry ingredients until smooth batter is formed. Do not over mix.
Pour batter into pan
- Press green button to begin preheating Brava.
- Spoon batter into square pan so that it covers strawberries. Smooth out top.
- When Brava is preheated, slide square pan into top shelf. Press green button to begin baking.
- When done, transfer square pan to wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes.
Invert cake and serve
- After 5 minutes, run knife around perimeter of cake.
- Place large plate or small cutting board on top of square pan and carefully turn it upside-down.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.