About this Custom Cook
These pretzels are soft and chewy. The dough is proofed, rolled into the traditional pretzel shape, dipped in a baking soda and water solution and then baked off in the Brava. The baking soda and water solution is what gives pretzels their defining flavor and color. I like to eat these plain, but these would also be great served with some mustard or cheese dip.
Makes 8 pretzels
1/2 cup warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
3 1/4 cup bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup beer (not IPA) or water
1/3 cup baking soda
1 tablespoon flaky or course salt
1. Mix sugar with warm water. Sprinkle yeast over top and gently stir. Let sit 5 minutes.
2. In bowl of standing mixer with dough attachment, combine flour and kosher salt.
3. After 5 minutes, once yeast is foaming, add yeast mixture, butter, and beer to flour mixture. Mix on low.
4. Once the dough comes together, turn on medium-high. (If the dough has not come together, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until it does).
5. Knead dough on medium-low for 5 minutes.
6. Once dough is kneaded, cover well with plastic wrap and let proof in a warm space for 1 hour, or until it doubles in size.
7. Once the dough has proofed, divide into 8 pieces.
8. Combine 1/3 cup baking soda with 5 cups of water in small saucepan and bring to boil.
10. In the meantime, shape pretzels. Start by rolling each piece into a 2 foot long log. Then, shape into a U, cross into a pretzel shape, twist in the center then press the ends on to the bottom sides of the pretzel.
11. Repeat with all pieces of dough.
12. Start custom cook preheat.
13. Line Brava metal tray with parchment paper.
14. Once the baking soda solution in boiling, place one pretzel into the saucepan. Let boil for 30 seconds. Remove with slotted spoon, shake off excess water and place on metal tray. Repeat with 3 more pretzels.
15. In small bowl, whisk egg together with 1 teaspoon of water.
16. Using a pastry brush, brush tops of pretzels with egg wash. Sprinkle with flaky salt.
17. Slide metal tray into top shelf and press green button to begin cook.
18. Once the cook is completed, place pretzels on wire cooking rack for 5 minutes.
19. Press green button to begin preheating Brava again for remaining pretzels. Repeat process and bake remaining pretzels.
20. Plate and serve.