About this Custom Cook
These hash browns are very crispy and make a great side dish for breakfast. The shredded potatoes are first soaked in water to remove excess starch (to prevent them from becoming gummy when cooked) and then squeezed through a clean towel to ensure they get crispy when cooked. You can use any type of high smoke point oil/fat in this recipe, but I would recommend using either vegetable oil or ghee.
2 large russet potatoes, peeled
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra for sprinkling
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil or ghee, melted
1. Fill large bowl with cold water.
2. Shred potatoes with box grater, using the end with large holes. As you are shredding the potatoes, place shredded potatoes in bowl of cold water.
2. Once all potatoes are shredded and in bowl of water, stir. Drain potatoes well.
3. Place grated potato in center of clean kitchen towel (or double layered paper towel). Using both hands, squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
4. Place dried grated potato in bowl. Add salt and pepper. Combine.
5. Add oil to Brava metal tray. Spread evenly.
6. Place shredded potatoes evenly across all zones of metal tray.
7. Slide metal tray into top oven shelf. Press green button to begin cook.
8. When prompted, flip hash browns with silicone spatula. To make this easier, flip over in several pieces. Return to top shelf of oven and press green button to continue cook.
9. When cook is completed, plate and sprinkle with salt. Serve immediately.