About this Custom Cook
These buttermilk biscuits are have loads of flaky layers. This is achieved by first freezing the butter for 15 minutes, then grating it and adding it to the flour mixture. The dough is then folded over itself to create layers of butter in each biscuit. The key to this dough is to not over mix the dough, as this will result in a tough biscuit. I love eating these biscuits warm with a bit of butter and jam, but feel free to use these as a base to a breakfast sandwich, with gravy or however you like!
Makes 8 biscuits
1 stick (8 tablespoons) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup buttermilk
1. Place stick of butter in freezer for 15 minutes.
2. Line Brava metal tray with parchment paper.
3. While butter is in the freezer, combine dry ingredients.
4. Over large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, kosher salt, granulated sugar and baking soda. Combine.
5. Once stick of butter is slightly frozen, coat stick with flour mixture.
6. Grate butter using a large holes side of a box grater.
7. Place grated butter in flour mixture and combine. Make sure all pieces of butter are coated with flour.
8. Pour buttermilk into mixture. Gently combine until the dough comes together. Do not over mix.
9. Place dough on a lightly floured surface. With rolling pin, roll into a 8 x 12" rectangle.
10. Fold dough. Using hands or dough scraper, fold dough like a letter, moving 1/3 to the center and the other 1/3 over that. Roll the dough out back into a rectangle.
11. Repeat this three times.
12. When final 8 x 12" rectangle is ready, cut into 8 square biscuits. (Or if you have a cookie cutter, press into circles).
13. Optional: Place biscuit pieces on plate and refrigerate for 15 minutes to set dough.
14. Press green button to begin preheating Brava.
15. Melt 1 tablespoon butter.
16. When ready, place biscuits on parchment-lined Brava metal tray.
17. Brush melted butter on top of each biscuit.
18. When Brava has finished preheating, slide metal tray into top shelf and press green button to begin baking.
19. When Brava notifies you, carefully remove metal tray. Remove biscuits from tray and serve.