About this Custom Cook
Naan is a Northern Indian flatbread that is typically cooked in an extremely hot, large clay oven. Since most of us don't have one of these in our kitchens, we can replicate this intense cooking process using the power of the Brava. This naan is topped with garlic ghee, but feel free to use any toppings you would like here. You could eat this plain, use melted butter, or top with some cumin seeds.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup full-fat yogurt
1 tablespoon oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons ghee or butter
1 tablespoon cilantro (optional)
1. In bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
2. In another bowl, combine 1/3 cup water, yogurt and oil.
3. While mixing with your hands, slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients until a soft, tacky dough is formed. This may require adding a couple additional tablespoons of water.
4. Knead dough for a couple of minutes.
5. Oil the bottom of a bowl. Place dough into bowl and top with some additional oil (this will prevent it from sticking). Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let rest for 1 hour.
6. While dough is resting, make garlic ghee.
7. Heat ghee over stovetop. Once hot, add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
8. When dough is done resting, divide into 4 pieces. Make sure to cover each piece well if you are not working with it at the time, as they will dry out very quickly.
9. Starting with one piece of dough, knead for 1 minute.
10. Roll dough into ball with hands then roll out into an oval shape using rolling pin. The dough should be very thin.
11. Place dough on to zone 2 of Brava metal tray. Use your hands to make sure dough is evenly spread on tray.
12. Slide metal tray into bottom oven shelf and press green button to begin cook. Follow instructions on screen.
13. Once the cook is completed, brush hot bread with garlic ghee. Cover with a tea towel.
14. Repeat process with remaining dough.
15. Once all naan is cooked, plate. Garnish with pieces of cilantro.