Brava Chef Erin
This recipe produces a light and fluffy pita. They are perfect for making pita pockets or dipping into your favorite dip (I would recommend making this with the baba ganoush custom cook!). Making pita in the Brava saves so much time because it takes advantage of Brava's rapid preheat function. If you were to make this in a normal oven, you would spend all your time waiting for the oven to preheat to 500 F only to have the pita cook in a couple minutes. The Brava eliminates this lengthy step. Note that in the recipe I recommend using a standing mixer with a dough hook, but if you don't have this that is perfectly okay. Just use your hands to knead the dough for double the time that's listed for the machine.
This recipe makes 4 pitas.
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Combine sugar with 1/4 cup warm water. Sprinkle yeast over mix, wait 5 minutes until yeast is foaming.
2. In large bowl of standing mixer, combine flour and salt.
3. Once yeast is foaming, add yeast mixture, oil and 1/4 cup water to flour mix.
4. With dough hook attachment, combine mixture on low speed.
5. Once dough comes together into ball (this may take adding an additional tablespoon of water), immediately add 1/4 cup water.
6. Mix on medium-low for 2 minutes. The dough should be tacky but not sticky. If the dough is sticky add 1 tbsp flour.
7. Increase speed to medium and run for 5 minutes.
8. When done kneading, cover dough tightly with plastic wrap and let rise for one hour (the dough should double in size).
9. Once the dough has proofed, evenly divide into 4 pieces. Gently roll each piece into ball shape with hands.
10. Place dough balls on to plate (or in egg tray wells) and wrap with plastic wrap. Let rest 10 minutes.
11. While dough is resting, preheat Brava.
12. When Brava is done preheating, slide metal tray into top oven shelf. There should be nothing on the tray.
13. On lightly floured surface, roll out pieces of dough with rolling pin until 1/4" thick.
14. When Brava notifies you, carefully remove metal tray and place two rolled dough pieces on to metal tray. Beware the tray is very hot.
15. Slide metal tray into top oven shelf and press green button to begin cook.
16. Follow instructions on Brava.
17. When the cook is completed, cover pita with towel to keep it soft.