About this Custom Cook
This slow cook was inspired by my favorite lamb dish- a traditional Greek dish called Youvetsi. Traditionally this dish braises lamb with tomatoes, Greek spices, and then is baked with orzo pasta. For this slow cook, the lamb is braised with tomatoes and spices and then you can serve the dish by itself or with whatever pasta you have on hand (potatoes would also work well!). Note that there are a couple of steps in this recipe before the slow cook starts: first, the lamb shanks are seared in the Brava and then the onions, garlic and tomato paste are seared (this takes 27 minutes, which is then followed with a 4 hour slow-cook). This gives the dish a great depth of flavor. The marinade is optional in this recipe, but I would highly recommend making it. It will make your lamb even more tender and flavorful.
-1/3 cup olive oil
-Juice of 2 lemons
-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
All Other Ingredients:
-4 lbs lamb shanks (~3-4 shanks)
-3 tablespoons olive oil
-1 yellow onion, chopped
-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
-1 tablespoon tomato paste
-1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
-1/2 cup chicken stock
-1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
-1 teaspoon dried oregano
-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus extra for seasoning lamb
-1/4 teaspoon black pepper plus extra for seasoning lamb
-1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-1 bay leaf
-1/4 cup feta cheese (or grated parmesan cheese)'
-2 tbsp chopped parsley
1. Optional: Marinate lamb. To large ziploc bag, add lamb shanks, 1/3 cup olive oil, juice of 2 lemons and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Seal bag and message marinade into lamb shanks. Marinate in refrigerator (laying bag flat) for 1-24 hours.
2. Pat lamb shanks dry with paper towels. Season both sides generously with salt and pepper.
3. Spread 1 tablespoon of olive oil on bottom of Chef's Pan. Place lamb in Chef's Pan (make sure they lie flat on bottom of pan).
4. Slide Chef's Pan, uncovered, into top oven shelf. Press green button to begin cook.
5. When Brava notifies you, carefully remove Chef's Pan. Carefully remove lamb shanks and set aside.
6. To Chef's Pan, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, chopped onions, chopped garlic and tomato paste. Combine.
7. Slide Chef's Pan, uncovered, into top oven shelf. Press green button to continue cook.
8. When Brava notifies you, carefully remove Chef's Pan.
9. To Chef's Pan, add diced tomatoes, chicken stock, red wine vinegar, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, cinnamon and bay leaf. Combine.
10. Place lamb shanks on top of tomato mixture. Cover Chef's Pan with lid.
11. Slide Chef's Pan, covered, into top oven shelf. Press green button to begin slow cook (this is a 4 hour slow cook).
12. When slow cook is complete, carefully remove Chef's Pan.
13. Garnish lamb shanks with 1/4 cup feta cheese and 2 tablespoons chopped parsley.
14. Serve immediately.