About this Custom Cook
Barbacoa is a traditional Mexican stewed meat dish that is flavored with chilies and an array of spices. This custom cook first sears off chuck beef and then combined with a flavorful sauce and finally slow cooked in the Brava until the meat is super tender. This dish is great served on its own or made into tacos. Please note that this dish contains a medium level of heat.
2 1/2 lbs chuck, cut into large chunks
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 onion, cut into large chunks
3 garlic cloves
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup chicken stock or water
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 chipotle in adobo peppers
1 tablespoon paprika
1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt plus extra for seasoning meat
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon black peppers plus extra for seasoning meat
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (optional)
1. Dry beef with paper towels. Season both sides with a couple pinches of salt and pepper.
2. Evenly spread vegetable oil across bottom of Chef's Pan.
3. Add seasoned beef to Chef's Pan.
4. Slide Chef's Pan, uncovered, into top oven shelf. Press green button to begin cook.
5. While beef is searing, make sauce.
6. To blender, add onion, garlic, apple cider vinegar, chicken stock (or water), 2 tablespoons lime juice, chipotles, 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, paprika, cumin, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and cloves. Blend until smooth.
7. When Brava notifies you, carefully remove Chef's Pan. Pour sauce over meat. Add bay leaves. Combine.
8. Slide Chef's Pan, covered, into top oven shelf. Press green button to continue. cook.
9. When slow cook is completed, carefully remove Chef's Pan.
10. Using two forks, shred beef.
11. Add 1 tablespoon lime juice. Combine.
12. Top with chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.