Roasted Asparagus Soup
by Brava Chef Travis
About this Recipe
When asparagus comes into season in the Spring, Chef Travis cooks with it as much as possible. Here, asparagus and shallots roast in the Brava until tender. Once cooked, everything is blended with chicken broth and butter until smooth. Serve with fresh lemon wedges to pull it all together, and fresh herbs if desired, like tarragon, chervil, basil or parsley. Chef Travis loves this soup for its flavor, simplicity, and versatility. Add a half cup of heavy cream for added richness, curry powder for some spice, or use vegetable broth and olive oil to make this vegan.
8 cups chopped asparagus (1-inch pieces)
⅓ cup minced shallots (or yellow/red onions)
6-8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons cold butter
From Your Pantry
extra-virgin olive oil
kosher salt and black pepper
Brava metal tray
Brava glass tray
large mixing bowl
4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven
Two Tray Cooks
Two Tray Cooks
- In large bowl, stir together asparagus, shallots, 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil and a few pinches of salt and pepper.
- Spread half of asparagus on Zones 1, 2 and 3 of Brava metal tray.
- Spread remaining asparagus on Zones 1, 2 and 3 of Brava glass tray.
- Slide metal tray into top shelf and glass tray into bottom shelf and press green button to begin cooking.
Heat broth on stovetop
- While asparagus cooks, in saucepan or Dutch oven over high heat, bring chicken broth to a boil.
- Once broth boils, reduce heat to a gentle simmer.
Blend soup and serve
- When your food is done, transfer asparagus to saucepan and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Working in batches, transfer soup and 2 tablespoons cold butter to blender and blend until smooth. Start with 6 cups of broth for a thicker soup, and use up to 8 cups for a thinner consistency.
- Cut lemon in half. Squeeze juice of half a lemon into soup; stir well. Slice remaining lemon half into wedges, for serving.
- Adjust seasoning and portion soup into bowls.
- Serve with lemon wedges on the side.