- For the cake:
- 2 peeled and chopped apples (¼-inch pieces) (about 2 ½ cups)
- 1¼ cups plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- For the caramel topping (optional):
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter (½ stick)
- ¼ cup heavy cream
From Your Pantry
Brava square pan
stand mixer (optional)
wire cooling rack
Allergens: Tree nuts, Milk, Eggs, Wheat (Gluten)
Prep apples and pears
- In medium bowl, stir together diced apples, 2 tablespoons of sugar and lemon juice. Set aside.
Make cake batter
- In medium bowl, stir together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, kosher salt, nutmeg and allspice; set aside.
- In a bowl with stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat together vegetable oil and remaining sugar at medium speed until mixture is light in color, about 5 minutes. Stop mixer and scrape down bowl and beater.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat until combined, then beat in milk and vanilla.
- Slowly add in flour mixture until combined.
- Add apples and walnuts, mix until combined.
Pour batter into pan
- Lightly butter or spray Brava square pan.
- Add batter to square pan.
- Press green button to begin preheating.
- When Brava is preheated, slide square pan into top shelf. Press green button again to begin baking.
- When your food is done, transfer pan to wire rack and let cool completely before serving.
Make caramel (optional)
- While cake is cooling, make the caramel sauce.
- In saucepan over medium heat, dissolve sugar and two tablespoons of water.
- Add butter and bring to boil. Slowly boil over medium heat until mixture is caramel colored, whisking occasionally.
- Remove from heat and immediately but slowly add heavy cream, whisking constantly.
- Stir in a pinch of salt.
Finish and serve.
- Slice cake, garnish with caramel sauce and serve.