- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into thick matchsticks (or about 1½ cups shredded carrots)
- 1 lb daikon, peeled and cut into thick matchsticks
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons plus ½ cup sugar
- 1½ cups distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon fine shrimp sauce (optional)
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 lb boneless pork shoulder, cut into ¼-inch strips
- 2 petite baguette rolls
- Maggi Seasoning sauce
- roasted lemongrass pork (above)
- 6-8 thin cucumber strips (or wedges)
- 5-6 cilantro sprigs
- 8-10 thin jalapeño slices
- ¼ cup pickles (above), drained
From Your Pantry
extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt and black pepper
Brava metal tray
mortar and pestle (or food processor)
2-quart storage container
Allergens: Fish, Wheat (Gluten), Shellfish
- In medium bowl, toss together carrot, daikon, salt and 2 teaspoons sugar and rest at room temperature for about 20 minutes to expel excess water.
- After 20 minutes, drain and rinse carrots and daikon in colander; transfer to 2-quart storage container.
- In medium bowl, whisk together remaining sugar, vinegar and water; stir until sugar dissolves.
- Pour brine over vegetables, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Pickles can be stored refrigerated for up to 4 weeks.
- Combine shallot, garlic, brown sugar, salt and peppercorns in mortar (or food processor) and pound to a paste.
- Add shrimp sauce (if using), fish sauce, vegetable oil and lemongrass; stir well.
- Toss pork with marinade and refrigerate for at least one hour (or up to 24 hours).
Toast baguette rolls
- Place baguette rolls in Zones 1, 2 and 3 of Brava metal tray.
- Slide metal tray into bottom shelf and press green button to begin toasting for 3 minutes 30 seconds.
- When Brava notifies you, remove rolls and set aside.
- Spread pork evenly on Zones 1, 2 and 3 of Brava metal tray.
- Slide metal tray into top shelf and press green button to begin cooking.
- Meanwhile, slit bread lengthwise, making sure you don’t cut all the way through.
- Spread some mayonnaise on both sides of bread and drizzle with a few shakes of Maggi Seasoning sauce.
- Layer sandwiches with pork, cucumber, cilantro sprigs, jalapeño and pickles.
- Cut sandwiches in half crosswise and serve.