Hasselback Butternut Squash
by Chef George Duran
Serving Size 4-8
~1 hr 10 min
1 medium butternut squash, halved and seeded
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
From Your Pantry
extra-virgin olive oil
Brava metal tray
wooden spoon (optional)
- Using a sharp knife, score rounded sides of butternut squash halves crosswise as deeply as possible without cutting all the way through.
- If desired, you can use a wooden spoon as a guide. Place wooden spoon handle along side of squash and slice until knife tip touches spoon.
- Rub squash all over with a few tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil.
- Season squash on all sides with salt.
- Place squash, cut side down, on Brava metal tray.
- Slide metal tray into bottom shelf.
- Press green button to begin cooking.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine melted butter and thyme; stir well.
- After about 30 minutes, open door to pause cooking and carefully remove metal tray.
- Brush butter mixture over top and inside squash slices.
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over each squash half.
- Slide metal tray into bottom shelf and press green button to finish cooking.
- When your food is done, transfer squash to serving platter.
- Serve warm.