Serving Size 6
~4 hrs 30 min
¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon cayenne
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 pork shoulder (about 5 lb)
2 cups sliced yellow onion (½-inch slices) (about 1 medium onion)
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 bay leaves
1 cup chicken stock or broth
½ cup apple cider vinegar
Zest strips of 1 orange
¼ cup fresh orange juice
From Your Pantry
1tablespoon kosher salt
Brava Chef's Pan
Prep dry rub; season pork
- For best results, season pork shoulder at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours before cooking.
- In small bowl, stir together brown sugar, salt, cumin, paprika, cayenne and black pepper.
- Evenly rub seasoning all over pork shoulder and place in resealable plastic bag.
- Refrigerate until ready to cook.
Sear pork shoulder
- In Brava Chef’s Pan add 2 tablespoons cooking oil and place pork shoulder, fat side down.
- Slide Chef’s Pan, uncovered, into top shelf.
- Press green button to begin cooking.
- Note: You will add additional ingredients after 10 minutes.
- Once Brava notifies you, carefully remove Chef’s Pan from Brava and place onion, garlic and bay leaves around pork.
- Stir in chicken stock, apple cider vinegar, orange peel and orange juice.
- Cover Chef’s Pan with lid and slide into top shelf.
- Press green button to continue cooking.
- Note: You will remove Chef's Pan lid after 3 hours.
Braise pork shoulder
- Once Brava notifies you, carefully remove Chef’s Pan and remove lid.
- Slide Chef’s Pan into top shelf, press green button to continue cooking.
Finish & serve
- Carefully remove Chef’s Pan and check pork. Meat should easily pull apart when pierced with a fork. If it is not yet tender, bake at 300°F for 30 minutes more.
- Place pork on cutting board and cut as desired, or use fork or hands to pull meat apart. Transfer to large bowl.
- If desired, use large spoon to skim fat off sauce.
- Remove bay leaves and orange zest and carefully transfer sauce and vegetables to blender. Blend on high speed until smooth. Pour half of sauce over pork and toss to coat.