Apple Cheddar Turnovers
~1 hour 21 minutes
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (about 14 oz), thawed
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 lb Granny Smith apples
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 oz sharp cheddar, grated
From Your Pantry
Brava metal tray
Allergens: Milk, Eggs, Wheat (Gluten)
Prep puff pastry & egg wash
- You can bake only 6 turnovers at a time. Assemble full batch of 12 turnovers. Bake the first batch of 6, reserving remaining 6 in refrigerator.
- Roll out puff pastry into a 12-by-15-inch rectangle; place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In small bowl, combine eggs, egg yolk and a pinch of salt; beat with fork until blended. Let stand at room temperature.
- Peel and core apples.
- Cut two-thirds of apples into ½-inch pieces. Cut remaining apples into ¼-inch slices.
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, stir together diced apples, sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons water.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved and mixture begins to thicken, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in sliced apples; cool completely before filling turnovers.
- Cut puff pastry into 12 rectangles, each 3¾ by 4 inches.
- Place ½ oz cheddar in center of each rectangle; top with apple filling, dividing evenly.
- Fold pastry in half to form smaller rectangles. Press edges firmly with fingers or fork to seal.
- Using fork, poke tops of turnovers a few times to prevent them from overflowing.
Slide metal tray into bottom oven shelf
- Place 6 turnovers, evenly spaced apart, in Zones 1, 2 and 3 of Brava metal tray.
- Press green button to begin preheating.
- Note: You will insert food once preheat completes.
- Using pastry brush, brush tops of turnovers with egg wash.
- When Brava is preheated, slide metal tray into bottom shelf. Press green button again to begin baking.
- When your food is done, transfer turnovers to wire rack or plate and cool for 10–15 minutes before serving.
- Bake second batch of turnovers or refrigerate for up to 24 hours or freeze for up to 3 months.