- 1½ cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon plus 1 pinch kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon cold heavy cream
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 pint strawberries, raspberries and/or blackberries
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar or other coarse sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
From Your Pantry
Brava metal tray
Allergens: Milk, Eggs, Wheat (Gluten)
- In large bowl, stir together bread flour, baking powder and ½ teaspoon salt. Using your hands, work butter into flour mixture until lumps are the size of peas.
- Add 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream and orange zest and stir until combined.
- Divide dough into 6 equal rounds, each about 1½ inches tall.
- Cover dough rounds loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Prep egg wash & macerate berries
- In small bowl, combine eggs, egg yolk and a pinch of salt; beat with fork until blended. Let stand at room temperature.
- In medium bowl, stir together berries, lime juice and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar. Let stand at room temperature.
- Remove plastic wrap from shortcakes. Place them, evenly spaced apart, in Zones 1, 2 and 3 of Brava metal tray.
- Press green button to begin preheating.
Bake shortcakes & whip cream
- Using pastry brush, brush tops of shortcakes with egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- When Brava is preheated, slide metal tray into bottom shelf. Press green button again to begin baking.
- While shortcakes are baking, make whipped cream. In large bowl, whisk together remaining 1 cup heavy cream, remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and vanilla extract until medium peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to assemble shortcakes.
- When your food is done, transfer shortcakes to wire rack or plate and cool for 5–10 minutes before assembling.
Assemble & serve
- Using serrated knife, cut shortcakes in half horizontally.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of whipped cream on bottom half of each shortcake.
- Top whipped cream with a spoonful of berries.
- Top berries with another spoonful of whipped cream; cover with shortcake tops.