Braised Sausage and Lentils
½ cup diced carrot (¼-inch pieces) (about 1 medium carrot)
½ cup diced celery (¼-inch pieces) (about 1 medium celery stalk)
½ cup diced fennel (¼-inch pieces) (about 1 small fennel bulb)
½ cup diced yellow onion (¼-inch pieces) (about ½ yellow onion)
1 ½ lb sweet Italian sausages (about 4 large links)
1 ½ cups chicken stock or broth
3 tablespoons tomato paste
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup lentils
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ cup champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
From Your Pantry
extra-virgin olive oil
kosher salt and black pepper
Brava Chef's Pan
Step 1: Prep vegetables & sausages
- In Brava Chef’s Pan, stir together carrot, celery, fennel, onion, 1 tablespoon cooking oil and 2 teaspoons salt.
- Arrange sausages on top of vegetables.
- Slide Chef’s Pan, uncovered, into top oven shelf.
Step 2: Sear vegetables & sausages
- Select “Sear” on your oven touchscreen. Select Zone 2 bottom, set timer for 5 minutes and press green button to cook for 5 minutes.
- While food cooks, in medium bowl, stir together chicken stock, tomato paste, cayenne, 1½ teaspoons salt and a pinch of black pepper.
- Deselect Zone 2 bottom, select Zone 2 top, set timer for 5 minutes and press green button to cook for 5 minutes.
- Deselect Zone 2 top, select Zone 2 bottom, set timer for 2 minutes and press green button to cook for 2 minutes.
Step 3: Braise sausages & lentils
- Carefully remove Chef’s Pan from oven and stir in lentils and chicken stock mixture. Make sure there are no lentils or vegetables on top of sausages.
- Cover Chef’s Pan with lid and slide into top oven shelf. Select “Sear” on your oven touchscreen. Select Zone 2 bottom, set timer for 5 minutes and press green button to cook for 5 minutes.
- Select “Bake” on your oven touchscreen. Set temperature to 300°F and timer for 1 hour. Press green button to begin preheating. It’s okay to leave Chef’s Pan in oven while it preheats for this recipe.
- When oven is preheated, press green button again to begin baking.
- When food is almost done, prepare parsley vinaigrette.
Step 4: Make parsley vinaigrette
- In small bowl, combine parsley, garlic, Champagne vinegar, ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil and ½ teaspoon salt; stir well. Set aside until food is done.
Step 5: Finish & serve
- When your food is done, transfer sausages to cutting board. When cool enough to handle, slice sausages on the bias.
- Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil to lentils; stir well.
- Transfer lentils to large serving platter, arrange sausages on top and drizzle with parsley vinaigrette.