Brava Chef Travis
This master recipe makes any scone flavor you like - there are endless variations to choose from. Just use a cup of your favorite seasonal fruit and you're good to go. I'll include a few flavor ideas at the bottom of this recipe***. Pictured are Blueberry-Lemon Scones.
Make sure your butter is very cold - I like to put it in the freezer for 5 minutes after cutting it into pieces. Also make sure not to overwork the dough. It's okay if there are a few lumps. Cold butter and gentle mixing yields incredibly light, tender scones.
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup half and half plus 2 tablespoons for brushing on tops
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup fruit or 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
Citrus zest and juice (if using fruit) (optional)
1. In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
2. Using a fork or pastry cutter, cut butter into flour until it resembles coarse sand.
3. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, vanilla and citrus zest and juice (if using).
4. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Using your hand, mix gently until dough barely comes together. When the dough has almost come together add the fruit or chocolate chips, if using. Do not overmix!
5. Transfer dough to floured work surface. Using your hands, mold dough into a 1 inch-thick round. Cut dough into 8 triangles (like a pizza).
6. Transfer scones to parchment-lined Brava metal tray. Brush tops with half and half and sprinkle liberally with sugar and a pinch of salt.
7. Press green button to begin preheating. When Brava notifies you, slide metal tray into top shelf and press green button to begin baking.
8. When your food is done, cool scones on metal tray for 5 minutes. Serve with butter and jam, curds or other fruit preserves.
*Blueberry Lemon - 1 cup blueberries + zest of 1 lemon + juice of 1/2 lemon
*Chocolate Chip - 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Substitute 1 tablespoon brown sugar for 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar.
*Cranberry Orange - 1 cup frozen cranberries, zest of 1 orange, 1/4 teaspoon ginger (or other sweet spice)
* Peach Almond - 1 cup chopped fresh peaches + 1/2 cup chopped almonds
*Mixed Berry - 1 cup mixed blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and/or strawberries
*Cinnamon Apple - 1 cup chopped apples + 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
*Candied Ginger - 1/2 cup candied ginger
*White Chocolate Raspberry - 1 cup raspberries + 1/2 cup white chocolate chips