About this Custom Cook
A popular Indian recipe, Chicken Biryani is a one-pot meal of fragrant basmati rice, tender spiced chicken, and caramelized onions.
Make sure to pat the chicken dry before marinating so the marinade does not become watery. Also make sure to soak the long grain basmati rice for 20 minutes, which makes the rice light & fluffy.
2 teaspoon garam masala
1 tablespoon ginger grated
1 tablespoon garlic minced
1 tablespoon mild red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
¼ cup mint leaves
¼ cup chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup plain yogurt
4.5 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts and/or thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 cups Basmati rice
4 tablespoons ghee, divided
2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
2 bay leaves
3 cups water
1 teaspoon saffron mixed in 1 tbsp warm milk
6 boiled and shelled eggs (optional)
1. Make marinade by mixing garam masala, ginger, garlic, red chili powder, turmeric, mint leaves, half of chopped cilantro, lemon juice, yogurt and 2 teaspoons of salt. Add chicken and coat evenly with marinade. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. While chicken is marinating, wash rice until water runs clear, then cover with water and soak for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes drain water completely and reserve rice.
3. Mix onions with 2 tablespoons ghee and evenly spread on Zones 1, 2 and 3 of the Brava metal tray. Slide metal tray into top shelf and press green button to begin cooking. When Brava notifies you, carefully remove metal tray and stir the onions. Slide metal tray into top shelf and press green button to continue cooking. When Brava notifies you, carefully remove metal tray and reserve onions.
4. Evenly spread remaining ghee in bottom of Brava Chef's Pan. Add bay leaves, marinated chicken and any liquids from the marinade, drained rice, 2.5 teaspoons of salt and 3 cups of water; stir well. Gently push rice down, making sure it is submerged in water.
5. Place Chef's Pan, covered, into top shelf and press green button to continue cooking. When your food is done, carefully remove Chef's Pan.
Sprinkle onions on top, spread the saffron milk and garnish with remaining cilantro.