When we started
- Brava, LLC was formed in September 1999 by Bio-mecanica, Inc., a Miami-based corporation that developed the System.
- Brava, LLC is a Limited Liability Corporation incorporated under the laws of the state of Delaware. The company has the exclusive rights to patent, manufacture, market and distribute the Brava Breast Enhancement and Shaping System in the U.S. and Canada, using proprietary technology developed by its parent company, Bio-mecanica, Inc.
- Bio-mecanica, Inc's international distribution rights are managed by Brava International, LLC.
Where we are located
14221 SW 142nd Street
Miami, FL 33186
(305) 856-4242 Office
(305) 856-4494 Fax
What we do
- Brava, LLC manufactures, markets, and distributes non-surgical technology for breast augmentation.
- The company's first product, the BravaŽ Breast Enhancement and Shaping System, introduced to the market in 2001, is the only clinically proven, non-surgical method for breast enhancement and shaping.
- The Brava System is both safe and effective and provides women with natural, long-lasting results.
How BRAVA works
- Over 30,000 women have now used the Brava System, which is based on the medical principle of tissue expansion, and has been used by doctors for over 30 years in reconstructive procedures.
- Tissue expansion techniques use sustained mechanical tension to induce skin, skeletal tissue, peripheral nerves and muscle to grow. Examples of other tissue expansion techniques include: tissue expanders for post-mastectomy breast reconstruction, Ilizarov devices for limb lengthening, and cranial and mandibular distracters in reconstructive procedures.
- In early 1999 the U.S. Food and Drug Administration allowed the System to be marketed. BRAVA was launched in early 2001 and is now available directly from the company or through approximately 200 BRAVA Authorized Physicians across the US.
- In 2002, BRAVA began its international expansion into Europe and Asia.
- The product has been awarded 12 patents with several patent pending. All have corresponding foreign patent applications.
- In 2006, BRAVA introduces the Brava Sport, a "no-frills" version of the Brava System, yet having all the key features for breast enhancement and shaping as the Brava Starter System.
Meet the principals
The principal officers of the company are accomplished medical and business professionals and serve as the board of directors for the parent company, Bio-mecanica, Inc. They include:
Phillip T. George, M.D., Chairman, is a plastic and reconstructive surgeon with 17 years of clinical experience. He received his B.S. degree from Pennsylvania State University and his M.D. from the University of Miami. He also founded Trivest, Inc., a middle market leveraged buyout firm, which has sponsored acquisition and recapitalizations totaling in excess of $1.3 billion. Dr. George is one of the founders of Bio-mecanica, Inc., Brava, LLC's parent organization.
Roger K. Khouri, M.D., Science and medical director, is the inventor of the Brava System and a practicing plastic and reconstructive surgeon in Miami. Prior to co-founding Brava, LLC and Bio-mecanica, Dr. Khouri held professional and fellowship positions at Brown, Harvard, New York and Washington Universities. Dr. Khouri sits on the editorial boards of several medical journals and has published more than 100 articles and lectured worldwide on his research in reconstructive plastic surgery and tissue engineering. He holds several U.S. patents. Dr. Khouri received his B.S. and M.D. degrees from the American University in Beirut.
Carlos V. Freyre, CEO and president, has been involved in several start-up business opportunities during the past eight years both in the U.S. and abroad prior to co-founding Brava, LLC and Bio-mecanica. His experience spans several industries, including healthcare, shipping and oil, telecommunications and banking. Mr. Freyre managed KPMG Peat Marwick's Southeast Financial and Strategy Consulting Practice. He is a CPA, received his B.S. degree from Boston College and his M.B.A. degree from the Harvard University Graduate School of Business Administration.
In addition to the officers, Brava, LLC has a medical scientific advisory panel of internationally acclaimed physicians and surgeons who are experts in plastic and reconstructive surgery and tissue engineering and cell therapy.
Medical Advisory Board
Dr. Roger K. Khouri, a plastic and reconstructive surgeon, developed the BRAVA Breast Enhancement and Shaping System. In addition to Dr. Khouri, many of the leading physicians in the fields of plastic surgery and tissue engineering serve on the Brava, LLC Medical Advisory Board. Members include:
- Bernard S. Alpert, MD; Associate Professor of Plastic Surgery at University of California, San Francisco
- Anthony Atala, MD; Professor and Chair, Department of Urology; Director, Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine
- Thomas J. Baker, MD; Volunteer Professor of Plastic Surgery, University of Miami Medical School
- Jack A. Friedland, MD; Associate Professor, Plastic Surgery, Mayo Medical School
- Mary K. Gingrass, MD; Private Practice, The Institute for Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery Nashville, TN
- Roger K. Khouri, MD; Private Practice, Past Professor, Washington University School of Medicine
- Malcolm A. Lesavoy, MD; Professor of Surgery, Division of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, UCLA
- Csaba L. Magassy, MD; Assistant Clinical Professor, George Washington University Medical Center
- John Q. Owsley, MD; Professor of Surgery, Division of Plastic Surgery, University of California, San Francisco